How can I prevent my child from becoming overweight / obese?
Be a good role model for your child by following a healthy lifestyle.
- Cook healthy dishes that your child likes.
- Try not to keep junk food at home. Identify healthy snacks (fruits, vegetables, nuts) for your child to eat if hungry between meals.
- If the child has the occasional chips or cookies, teach him / her to limit the quantity.
- Encourage eating smaller portions of food if you feel that the child is gaining weight.
- It is important for your child to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day, rather than sugary drinks like soda and cool drinks.
- Limit the time your child spends on television, computer and smartphone.
- Encourage your child to be physically active.
- Please refer to:
- Encouraging your child to eat a balanced diet
- Is my child’s physical activity appropriate?
If your child is obese, it is not safe to put him / her on a diet without medical guidance. Schedule an appointment with Amara Hospital to take advantage of our Childhood Obesity Services.